It’s easy to neglect leaf guards for gutters. After all, they’re made to help you avoid hard work during the fall and winter months. On the surface, it doesn’t make sense to maintain something that prevents ongoing maintenance issues.
But cleaning gutters with gutter guards is critical. The work you do now can help you prevent performance issues down the line. And that could mean experiencing less damage to your roof, foundation, and other important structures.
What Do Leaf Guards for Gutters Do?
Think of your gutters like a river that picks up water and washes it out to sea. Leaf guards ensure that the water keeps moving rather than picking up impediments.
Your gutters guard might:
- Cover. Some systems sit on top of your gutters and keep debris from falling inside.
- Fill. Brushes and foams sit inside the gutters and collect debris at the top, where you can reach it.
If you have trees in your yard, gutters guards are vital. The average mature oak has about 250,000 leaves, and all of them could pack your gutters tight and keep water from moving.
But just like gutters, guards can also be filled with leaves and debris. When they are, they don’t work properly.
Cleaning Gutters With Gutter Guards
Follow this step-by-step plan to protect your investment in gutter guards.
At least twice per year, you should:
- Scrape. Using a small trowel, pull debris off the top of the gutter guards.
- Remove. Take the gutter guards off or down, if you can. If you’re not sure how to do that, ask your installation company for help.
- Wash. Turn on a garden hose, and direct the stream inside your gutters.
- Replace. Put your gutter guards back.
- Test. Use the garden hose again, and ensure water is flowing into your downspouts.
This process is simple, but it can be dangerous. Each year, ladders are involved in 500,000 falls. You’ll handle slick materials, and cold weather can quickly turn water to ice.
Ask a helper to do the work with you. Take turns going up and down the ladder, and don’t be afraid to take breaks when you feel tired.
Replace Leaf Guards for Gutters
As you clean your system, you may notice dents, cracks, or holes. It could be time to consider replacement.
As the leading roofing contractor in Baltimore, we have an exceptional reputation and a talented crew. We can replace your roof gutters quickly. And we can show you how to maintain them too. Contact us to find out more.